Lehigh Valley Planning Commission
Long Range Transportation Plan
Lehigh Valley Awards
Livable Landscapes- Lehigh County
Open Space Plan
Return On Environment
Livable Landscapes- Northampton County Open Space Plan
Regional Climate and Energy Plan
2018 Nomination Materials
Lehigh Valley Awards Additional Information
All projects must be located in the Lehigh Valley and must be substantially completed when nominated, or completed within the last three years. Each is judged on their merits. Anyone may submit nominations, but projects that have been submitted in previous years are not eligible. Submissions will be accepted for the following award categories:
1. Plan, Planning Policy or Ordinance
These plans, planning policies or ordinances promote sound long-range planning and support the inter-relationships between planning and implementation. Projects can include new comprehensive plans, subdivision and land development ordinances, zoning ordinances, official maps, and neighborhood plans. Also eligible for this category are subject-specific plans such as transportation and parks, recreation, and open space plans.
2. Land Development
These projects promote excellence in design and planning. Projects include residential, office, commercial and institutional developments that exemplify good site design, such as building placement, project context, parking and circulation, pedestrian amenities, landscaping, and sustainable design practices.
3. Revitalization Project
These projects contribute to the revitalization of older, more established communities. Projects can include redevelopment and building rehabilitation, adaptive reuse, infill development, streetscape improvements, new parking facilities and other community enhancements.
4. Open Space or Land Preservation Project
These projects focus on open space preservation, land conservation, sustaining natural resources and enriching the community. Projects can include the preservation or improvement of open space, agriculture, natural areas or other cultural and heritage amenities.
5. Outdoor Recreation Project
These projects focus on the development or rehabilitation of park, trail or other outdoor recreation facilities that enrich the community and provide enjoyment for residents and visitors. Projects can include development or rehabilitation of the entire site or individual elements within the site.
6. Environmental Project
These projects promote the protection and restoration of natural features and sustainable use of resources. Projects can incorporate habitat enhancement, riparian corridor protection, green infrastructure (green roofs, green parking lots, green streets), innovative stormwater design, energy efficiency and renewable energy.
7. Transportation Project
These projects improve mobility, enhance safety, and exemplify best planning, engineering, and context-sensitive design and construction. Projects can include road, bridge, transit, bicycle, pedestrian, and traffic calming improvements.
8. Multi-Municipal Cooperation
These projects enhance the Lehigh Valley, regardless of county or municipal boundaries, promoting efficiencies, cooperation, and demonstrated coordination for the benefit of the greater community. Projects can include multi-municipal comprehensive plans; cross-municipal zoning; shared services and cooperative agreements for emergency services, water and sewer, among other cooperative efforts. Public/private partnerships may also be considered.
Community of Distinction
This award will honor a community that exemplify consistent plans and policies that support efficient and sustainable development, land management, and resourcefulness.
To be awarded the Community of Distinction, a municipality will be asked by the LVPC to make a presentation to the judging panel for this award.
Each presentation must demonstrate a strong commitment to planning and implementation, consistent with the Comprehensive Plan The Lehigh Valley… 2030 and exemplify innovation across other award categories.
Awards Process + Criteria
Award Process + Criteria:
The Lehigh Valley Planning Commission (LVPC) evaluates all submissions and a select group of nominations are visited, judged, and awarded by the Lehigh Valley Awards Committee, consisting of LVPC members, outside subject matter experts and staff. Winners will be recognized at the LVPC’s 2018 Lehigh Valley Award Ceremony on October 10 at DeSales University Center, Center Valley, PA.
Each Project will need to describe:
• Design + Process- All projects must exemplify excellence in planning, design and implementation. Projects will be judged on quality of design, community context, planning concept, environmental sensitivity and sustainability. The process involved in completing a project will also be evaluated. This includes achievement of community goals, successful community collaboration, public/private partnerships, funding strategies, outreach and citizen participation.
• Impact - All projects should demonstrate a positive impact to the overall value of the community. This can include economic, environmental and recreational benefits, increased mobility, improved safety, job creation, enhanced community image, sense of place, and the social, cultural and economic health of the community.
The following criteria will be used for evaluation:
• Originality + Innovation: How is your project innovative and unique?
• Compatibility: Include how your entry has been integrated into other planning efforts in the Lehigh Valley, specifically the Comprehensive Plan The Lehigh Valley… 2030.
• Effectiveness + Results: Detail how your entry has made a difference in the community.
• Engagement: Describe the varied interests that were involved. Include any competing interests.
• Transferability: Could the concepts your project implemented be transferred to create other successful projects?
Instructions - Please fill out the form completely. The deadline for entries is 5 p.m. on July 20, 2018. Winners will be recognized at LVPC’s 2018 Lehigh Valley Award Ceremony on October 10 at DeSales University Center, Center Valley, PA. Contact Tracy Oscavich at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions. All materials become property of the Lehigh Valley Planning Commission.
Please mail five hardcopies and one cd/thumb drive of your nomination packet to: 2018 Lehigh Valley Awards, Lehigh Valley Planning Commission, 961 Marcon Blvd., Suite 310, Allentown, PA 18109
Nomination packets should include:
1. A cover letter indicating the contact information and official name of the project, specific project address, and municipality.
2. Nomination form.
3. Supplemental materials, such as site plans, photos, project brochures, etc. (Electronic copies of supplemental materials are preferred).